Saturday, May 28, 2011

Achebe

Chinua Achebe is said to be one of the best writers from Africa. Going in before reading any of his work I must say I was doubtful to believe so. Also not being use to his style of work I thought I would have a hard time understanding. I believe Achebe had a theme of womens perspective like no other I have read before. Though in "Girls at War" , some of the things I read like when Gladys began selling herself showed me that this was the "power" that women had in Africa. Her character to me changed from good to bad. This is what I admired from Achebe. Achebe showed the progression of one female character. She went from a very strong woman, to more of an all or nothing do or die type character. Yes she had downfalls not being able to do what she wanted, but she found other ways to help. Once those were over is when she began trying to make her money her way which turned her into the slick, fast, greedy type to me. Although there was few ways for her to survive, I just felt she could of done it another way.

No comments:

Post a Comment