Monday, April 18, 2011

Nadine Gordimer

Nadine Gordimer is very unique in her 3 readings of "good climate, friendly inhabitants", "Six feet of the country", and "Amnesty". All of these pieces center around the Apartheid. Theses stories have changed my life and how I now look at the South African Apartheid, in which I also did my presentation on. Thanks to the presentation and the 3 stories I now have a better understanding.

   The story that reached me the most was "Six Feet of the Country". Gordimer used the man who owned the farm in an unique way. After going over the story in class it made even more sense to me. It also angered me even more that one man could possibly think that way. That one man could talk down on another human , and during a funeral you would be hitiing a golf ball!  Gordimer wrapped the story around the system of the South African Apartheid. In the end of the story even the farm onwner could not get the original body back because of lack of power, and after seris of letters, arguments, the ones who actually cared could not either

1 comment:

  1. Your first paragraph is a powerful statement! What would make this stronger would be to add what you understanding was before your readings and how it changed as a result of learning more. Your discussion of "Six Feet of the Country" is great, and your personal reaction is clear. What would make your responses stronger would be to add how your personal experiences inform your readings of these stories.

    ReplyDelete